Crosses, pentagrams and other religious and mystical motifs have always been popular options for body art along with scriptural and philosophical quotes.
The most timeless among these patterns have been crosses and crucifixes in numerous patterns, whether alone or as a part of a larger body art scheme.
One of the most ubiquitous and all-time favorite body art patterns involving crosses are crosses mounted by wings. Cross tattoo designs with wings have been around for quite some time now and a wide variety of permutations and combinations of cross styles and wing patterns can be used to give this timeless body art symbol a personalized touch!
I don’t know why but pictures of cross tattoos with wings in dark shades somehow evoke a rebellious and emo kinda feel!
Although the cross has religious connotations, the wings add a peculiar kind of funk to it, don’t you think?
Click on each picture for a detailed look.
Winged Cross Tattoos For MenCross designs with wings coupled with a funky script look great on men. A Gothic cross dagger with a dragon coiled around it, wings extended, is a very masculine and attractive body art pattern! It steps up the rugged appeal of sinewy arms and/or six-pack abs! Also, intricately inked Celtic crosses with wings surrounded by clouds is a good tattoo option among designs for men. How you design your tattoo totally depends upon what motifs appeal to you most. However, being men, you can take advantage of a larger physical surface area and can get bigger, more complicated tattoos without marring the effect of the surrounding region! Also, you can get massive winged cross tattoos, coupled with tribal tattoo designs, on your chest or back that would make heads turn every time you take off that shirt!Winged Cross Tattoos For WomenLadies, you can go all the way and get yourself some funky winged crosses as tattoos. No, that doesn’t mean you have to stay confined to goody-goody Latin crosses and dove wings! You can play bad with cross designs for women and get a rebellious Gothic cross with bat’s wings inked on the nape of your neck or your upper arm! However, make sure to get the placement right else the details of the tattoo would get marred with time. Suppose you get an intricate cross-and-wing tattoo accompanied by some cool scripture quote, make sure to get it someplace where it can be clearly seen. Also, since sometimes we need to attend formal or serious occasions too, do not get an elaborate tattoo on any part of the body which cannot be concealed if you want to (like the jawbone, cheek, neck tattoos, etc.). This applies to men as well! Women can go for slender Celtic crosses with wide spanning eagle wings as lower back tattoo options!
Different Options in Crosses and Wings
Different tattoo symbols have different tattoo meanings! You can use any combination of the following types of cross and wings patterns to come out with a cool tattoo motif of your own! Check out the following conventional options!
- Catholic Crosses, also known as Latin crosses, are the simple Christian crosses that may or may not be accompanied by the symbol of the Sacred Heart or the body of Christ nailed to it.
- Gothic Crosses are typically dramatic to look at, mostly being entwined with barbed wire or doubling up as daggers. Dramatized imagery coupled with monochromatic shades, Gothic crosses serve to express angst and pain. Add to these some grim short quotes for tattoos and bingo! You just created a cult!
- Celtic Crosses are elaborately designed, often encircled by an artistic ring, and often involve intricate detailing on its shaft.
- Tribal Crosses are free-flowing cross designs often combining unusual and disjointed strokes and adding an ethnic feel to the design.
- Dove Wings are cute, rounded, pinkish white wings that can be added to a Catholic cross tattoo design coupled by a halo! It gives a relatively innocent feel to the tattoo design.
- Hawk/Kite/Eagle Wings look predator-like with their angular outlines and pointed feathers. These wings can be added to cross patterns to impart a toughened up feel to them!
- Bat Wings look great on Gothic crosses as they bring out the dark connotations of cross motifs!
- Dragon Wings can add funk to any cross tattoo by adding an element of fantasy and boldness! These wings look long, ribbed and skinny like a bat’s wings and can be in colored in any shade of green or black.
The next time you contemplate getting inked, consider winged cross motifs and customize the design to suit your taste and personality! There’s no way you won’t get noticed with these super cool tattoo designs! Just “cross” yourself and let imagination “fly”!