A hairless face and body is every woman’s dream. Women can go to any length to get rid of their body hair. Hair removal methods, such as electrolysis, shaving, laser hair removal and waxing are the most preferred by women, when it comes to removing body hair. Out of these methods, waxing is perhaps the most economical. Waxing can be carried out at both spa as well as at home. Unlike shaving, hair removed through waxing does not reappear for about three to four weeks, as it removes hair from the root. Also, the hair which regrows is very fine and soft too. If you are considering waxing at home to remove the hair on your body, then here is some information below, which you will find quite useful.
- Waxing can be done to remove hair on any part of the body including the legs, arms, underarms, back, stomach, bikini line and face.
- Wax is of two kinds, namely, hot wax and cold wax. If you have a sensitive skin, go in for a cold wax, otherwise hot wax is much more effective for hair removal.
- The skin that has to be waxed, should be exfoliated properly before as it helps in getting rid of the hair from the root and thus, is long-lasting.
- Women should not do waxing during their periods as the skin is very sensitive during that time.
- Taking a painkiller, just prior to waxing helps in minimizing the pain caused by it.
- Waxing kits for women come with a wax, knife or spatula, plastic strips and a bowl to make the wax hot. While choosing the kit, women should go in for the ones that can be easily heated on a stove or in an oven.
- The strips can even be made by cutting a clean cotton cloth into a number of rectangles of size six by three inches.
- Waxes which contain natural ingredients should be bought rather than the ones with synthetic ingredients as they can cause skin allergy.
- If you do not want to buy waxing kits, a quick recipe to make wax is to put one cup of lemon juice and one cup of granulated sugar in a pan and let it simmer for fifteen minutes. When the sugar gets completely melted, a thick liquid will be formed which can be used in place of wax.
Home Waxing Hair Removal Procedure
- Before starting the procedure, take a shower, so that the skin area that has to be waxed is clean. Avoid applying any moisturizer post shower as dry skin is easier to wax than a moisturized one.
- Heat the wax on a stove or an electric heater. Remember not to overheat it as it can cause burns and bumps on the skin.
- Take a talcum powder and sprinkle it on the skin area that needs to be waxed. This will make the skin dry and thus, easy to wax.
- Take a spatula and with it, apply a small amount of the hot melted wax on the skin area, evenly. Remember to apply the wax in the same direction as the hair growth.
- Place the plastic strip or the home-made cotton cloth strip on the wax, and with your hand, press it so that it sticks to the wax completely.
- Hold the end of the strip which is in the opposite direction of the hair growth and with one quick action, pull it off your skin. The strip should be pulled in the opposite direction of the hair growth and in such a way that the hair come out completely.
- Similarly, wax the entire skin area as well as the other body parts. Post waxing, apply a moisturizer on the skin to hydrate it.
Preferably, home waxing should be done to remove hair from legs, arms, back and stomach. For bikini and face waxing, salons are the ideal choice. As waxing can make the skin quite sensitive, care is also very important. Wearing a sunscreen while going out in the sun on the skin areas which have been waxed is a must, to avoid any kind of skin irritation. Also, deodorants, soaps and perfumes with strong chemicals should not be applied on the waxed body parts for at least forty eight hours post waxing.